Thursday 20 November 2008

Thursday

I don't know what it is about Thursdays. Thursday seems to be a day when people get stressed and grumpy. It's still one more work day until the weekend, maybe that explains it. Today I had to deal with grumpy people, stressed people, for some of the day. For the rest of the day I was entertained by children. No grumps there thankfully. I hibernated with a group of polar bears, after having been given a coat and gloves because we were, of course, at the North Pole. Shortly after, this polar bear got eaten by a lion. Well, that's just how it is with the big jobs after all.

I had a farewell to go to after work, a farewell where I had to stand up in front of a large group and sing, OK so being eaten by a lion was preferable to that. I was late after a drive across town during rush hour. The song was happening as I arrived, whew lucky escape for me and those listening. There was free flowing wine, dangerous for me as others know. I have ended up compromised after a few on occasion, something my friends and the occasional photo reminds me about. Not that I have clear recollections.

But wait there's more, the treat of the day was yet to come. After some toast and coffee for dinner, I was home for a very short time after all, I got the glad rags on and off I went to an amateur show one of my friends was part of. At the end of this Thursday and it's grumpy people, I really felt like curling up with a vino in front of the telly. But out I went. I was more than pleasantly surprised and very pleased I made the effort.

I haven't laughed so much in ages, actually since the last live show I went to performed by the Doha Players, but that's another story. The show was A Space Oddity and was a parody of Star Trek, Star Wars and the NZ political parties. Surprisingly the singing was great. With such songs as Startrekkin', Bohemian Rhapsody, Let's Get Physical and Hey Baby, how could it be anything but successful. There was a bit of loo humour and characters called Ivona Hugginkiss, Private Dolly Parts and Princess Layher, well you get the picture.

It was a good night out shared with friends and a glass or two in a setting that reminded me of earlier times in New Zealand. Chips and peanuts on the table at a community gathering, fun for all. Talking to Annie after, I could see why she so enjoyed these shows and all the work they entailed.

I am not a very patient person and I am waiting to hear from others overseas at the moment. My email has been surprisingly quiet. I am especially waiting to hear about a job I was interviewed for earlier in the week. I am hopeful. If I get it, I will be off on another adventure. Finger crossed then.

No comments: