Tuesday 18 November 2008

The Sea

Nick's a keen surfer and when he was down recently he checked out the beaches. There was no surf so he got some lovely shots of the places where I am going to spend more time this summer. I love the beach, I don't get there often enough. The photo is of Sumner and New Brighton beaches looking towards the city and mountains. 

I do much prefer the North Island beaches. They are more secluded somehow, less exposed than the expanse of bay that is Pegasus Bay. I also have fond memories of an adolescence spent surfing and swimming at the Coromandel and Far North beaches, places my son has now discovered. I enjoy watching his face when he tells me about a special beach, a beach I can tell him stories of too. Of course the beaches were much better in the 70's. There was more sun, more surf, less people, more friendly people and some very rose tinted glasses. Sunscreen hadn't been invented and we didn't get sunburnt, ever. Well maybe just that one time.

I was reading a blog tonight and came across a line from a poem about the sea and that got me reflecting on the role the sea has in replenishing my soul. When I am in the sea, near the sea I feel at peace, calm, comfortable and reflective. In the te ao hurihuri that is my life, I do need to spend more time there. Roll on summer......

No comments: