Sunday 30 November 2008

Sunday

It's been a good weekend, time to rest and have some down time after a difficult week. Also time to catch up with friends. Raukura and I went out for a few last night, in Rau's words, a couple of nanas having a night out while still getting a good nights sleep. We talked up a storm, as we do, about travelling and heading off to the Middle East to work. Raukura has applied to go out there too. Who knows, we might even get to work together.

I sent Kahu, my hairdresser, my blog link and got an email from him tonight telling me he is enjoying the photos and catching up on my happenings. Makes this blog worth writing when people enjoy reading it and looking at my photos. I'm especially pleased Kahu is enjoying, he's the reason I have such good hair, my only real vanity. I am a Leo so that's understandable really, it's all about the mane. I don't wear make up except lippy on occasion so like to have a good do, Kahu provides that. I missed him when I was away, both speaking the same language helps when you are getting your hair done.

Lyn and I discovered the salon at the Sharq in Doha and went there to get our hair done a couple of times. The Sharq is a flash hotel, really flash, something like a 6 star rating from memory. It was walking distance from Al Hitme. Our hair guy was a cute Egyptian who didn't really know what to make of these brash, unflash westerners. Their usual clientele was far more classy, Qatari women in Louis Vuitton and Gucci, made up in the beautiful way Qatari women are. We were moths in amongst the butterflies.

We also gate crashed their very cool pool twice. The first time we got a swim without really knowing we weren't allowed to, the second time we knew we weren't allowed but still had a go in the usual kiwi tradition. Kerry disowned us, waited with a shisha and a tea in a nearby cafe. We had a bet with him, he lost, we got to swim. I can look really innocent when needed and am really good at sincere apology, well insincere apology sounding sincere. The pool boy bought the apology after we didn't know our room number and let us swim for a while. Lyn even got photos so I will try to get one from her to add here later.

No comments: