Saturday 5 July 2008

To France and a car



Earlier in this blog I wrote about our time in Torino, a surprisingly nice place. One thing I didn't mention earlier was that my faithful black shoes had given up the ghost and I binned them in Torino. Anyone who knows me, knows I have a thing about shoes. I have a few pairs, actually a pair for most occasions and I love heels. I really struggle buying sensible shoes and that's what I had to do to replace my faithful walking sandals. After trying on many pairs, I found a pair that worked and off we went to the station, onwards to Nice.

It was quite a long way to Nice, through amazing mountain villages and tunnels. It was a bit worrying when the conductor tried to tell us something and then had to come back with another conductor who spoke a little English. They both looked very concerned as they told us that the French were on strike and we wouldn't be able to get to Nice, bugger one of the few places we forward booked accommodation. No point in worrying so we sat back and enjoyed the scenery. 
We eventually arrived at Nice, late in the day and found our hotel. It was a bit dodgy so we found a lovely restaurant in which to celebrate our return to France. The next day we picked up our car, luxury no more dragging the bags, and off we went to explore the places we loved so much last time we were in France. 
Oh yes, it's still snowing in Christchurch. Very white, very beautiful and very cold!

No comments: