Thursday 17 July 2008

Onwards to Paris!


OK, the electric blanket still looks good but thought I would add just one more post. 
Onwards to Paris! Well that was the idea. We headed towards Paris expecting to meet Di and Gert there for a couple of days. Change of plan, they both picked up the flu on their trip to Turkey. I was so looking forward to exploring Paris again and to explore with such good friends would have made it very special. Alas, I didn't want their flu and they weren't up to traveling. Next time!
We drove until it was late and found a Logis de France hotel on the side of the road, looked perfect. They had a spare room or two so we booked in. What the hotel also had was a lovely owner who was an excellent cook, and a very friendly golden lab. Muzz and her talked about dogs in broken French and English while I rushed up the stairs to the loo. 
The hotel was very old and amazing inside with low ceilings and flagstone floors. We walked through the village just in time to see the local school end it's end of year concert, mums, dads and kids everywhere. Obviously a close community by the conversations and laughter. The locals even greeted the strangers walking by. 
Part of the nights stay was a set menu with the most delicious home cooked food. I had three courses including some yummy salmon and another carafe of wine, all by myself. And I managed to negotiate the stairs just fine! We met some lovely people in the dining room, obviously locals out to dinner. One group spoke English so helped us to negotiate the menu. Breakfast was also included. When I went to pay the bill, I was surprised when she said it was under 50 Euro. not a bad price for dinner, bed and breakfast for two people. 
Little did I know that the next night accommodation would not be quite so salubrious. 

No comments: