Wednesday 23 July 2008

Insomnia!

I haven't slept well since I've been home. Being cold doesn't suit me and having to have heaps of bedclothes make me feel somehow claustrophobic. I enjoyed the hot nights in Qatar when I could sleep with just a sheet, breathing warm air and not having a cold nose. Very healthy for a dog I know. Talking about the dog, my getting up and reading in the night disturbs his sleep and he gets quite huffy with me when I turn on the light. He usually vacates to a darker place, after of course he has checked if I have anything to eat.
Thats one reason I struggle with sleep. Another is I think I am stuck in the wrong time zone. Taking melatonin has worked for me before in regulating my body clock but at the moment I feel awake and ready to party at 3am, 6pm Qatar time. This was the time when we went walking and caught up with each others day, a group of women charging down the corniche talking up a storm. I often wonder what the locals thought, I hope they didn't understand what we were saying, well some of the time! 
My mind is also very active at this time of day, sorting through issues and thinking about things. When I was writing, this was the time I got up and did my best work, so maybe I actually need a job that starts early and finishes early, just in time for a siesta.  
Here I am today at 5am, still awake, checking my mails and adding to my blog. When I go back to bed soon I will probably fall asleep until the alarm, not enough time to really feel refreshed. So if anyone out there has a solution to my sleeplessness, please let me know and I'll slip quietly back to bed for now.

No comments: