Tuesday 1 July 2008

Amalfi 2


One of things I quickly noticed on my travels was that Qatar fit was not Italy fit. Qatar was flat. Roma had it's share of steps and hills but Amalfi was another step up from that, very steep and a climb to get to anywhere. Sometimes we got to go down first! 
So, we explored Praiano by going up and down steps and hills. We could see an amazing church as we lingered over a pizza lunch in the heat of the day. I couldn't believe that all the small towns had these ornate churches. This one had a mosaic dome and inside was the most amazing ceramic floor. People were worshipping so I refrained from taking photos inside but did get some of the outside. The smell of fresh flowers inside was overpowering and added to the sense that this was a community where the church was central to everyday life. 
I was sad to leave Praiano and know that I will return, next time for a week or two so I can more fully explore all that this part of the coast has to offer. 

No comments: