Thursday 24 July 2008

It's cold

It's freezing outside again and Sam needs a walk. I know he does because he is bouncing around the room, and thats major when you are a ten year old lab, with his lead in his mouth. I did it this morning in the rain, so not my turn! 
There's snow on the hills behind the house but the fire is going and the house is warm. Now that might not sound a big thing but the fire broke towards the end of last winter and I have been waiting until yesterday for it to be fixed. Tonight it is belting out the heat in the living room while I am writing in the dining room and I can feel the heat from here.
The house is breathing a sigh of relief as it dries out and warms up. What is it about the radiant heat from a fire? Is it that you can see the heat in the form of flame? Does this bring back our primal beginnings when fire meant survival? All I know is that I need to be warm and the fire provides that, simple.
It's especially good to be able to sit in front of said fire and watch the Tour de France, vicariously traveling as the tour passes through my favorite parts of France. Tonight we have watched the stage up L' Alpe d'Huez. We climbed the Alpes in 2004 and watched Lance 
Armstrong blitz the field. I yelled and cheered with the best of them at the Dutch corner. Today my pick to win the whole tour, Carlos Sastra, showed his true colours and I cheered watching the telly willing him on as he won the stage by over two minutes. I have all the stages on disc so can revisit when I feel the need, when my feet itch to travel. Roll on tomorrows stage, go Carlos!

No comments: