Sunday 27 July 2008

Go Carlos and Tim!


Carlos Sastra has done it! I was on the edge of my seat watching the penultimate stage of the Tour de France, willing him on to beat Cadel Evans in the time trial. Well, not exactly beat, more keep the time losses to a minimum and keep the yellow jersey and overall lead of the tour. He repaid my faith in him wearing yellow into the final day's racing. I danced around the living room going, YES! I so love being right, picking a winner, I'm not competitive....really!
I had to go out for the day to look after my father so missed the final hour or so of the stage. I kept away from the news so I could watch the final part of the time trial when I got home. Nothing worse than knowing the result of a sporting event then watching. Muzz kind of gave it away with a couple of comments. I ignored him!
We also watched the All Blacks last night, I had a couple of wines to help me cope. I needn't have worried about tour coverage, the news was dominated by the All Black's loss. The New Zealand psyche is so entwined with the winning and losing of sporting events that the country goes into postmortem mode, then mourning when we lose.  
A comment from my father, I won't watch another game, ever. I just smiled knowingly, knowing that he will indeed watch the next and every game he is alive for. He will complain about the ref, the players, the excuses. This is also part of the New Zealand psyche. Pleased he is still taking an interest. 
Today my eldest son Tim is racing in a world cup mountain bike race in Canada and I am waiting for a text, waiting nervously and willing him to continue with his excellent form this season. Tomorrow I will enjoy the final stage of the tour, the ride into Paris. I will enjoy the lovely Carlos being crowned champion and will look forward to next years race. 
I hope I will also be celebrating an excellent result from Tim. Sorry no photos of Tim on the new Apple, just his bike.

No comments: