Tuesday 15 July 2008

Brittany



We pushed north to Brittany and arrived at Dinard late in the day. The reason we had gone north is that I had been waiting for years to visit a place called Mont St Michel. As a child I had dreamt about the place, recognised it much later in a book and so learnt the name. I had dreamt that I was riding on a horse towards the town with the sea closing in quickly behind me making the causeway impassable. The causeway is now a road protected from the tide, but I digress. I was very excited to be actually visiting the place in my dreams but we had to find somewhere to stay for the night. 
Dinard is a lovely clean town with some wonderful architecture, gingerbread houses and mansions on the hillside overlooking the sea. It is also has daylight until about 10pm and the excellent light makes taking photos a pleasure. The restaurants sold the most amazing range of seafood so we ate very well. It was a little chilly in the evening, was very pleased I'd kept my warmest pashmina in the bag. 
We wandered around a coastal path in the morning and came around a bend to see St Malo, the pirate capital of Brittany, before us. The coast is very beautiful. It's where those amazing photos of lighthouses with the waves breaking over them are taken. Lighthouses are everywhere and needed as the coast is very rocky with many small islands some only visible at low tide. On the days we spent in the area the sea was very calm but people told us that the waves break over the high wall at St Malo when there are storms. 

No comments: