Thursday 30 March 2023

Dubai

I'm on the final leg of my journey back to the UK, a week in Dubai and surrounds. Having stayed here often for work, after the years living in Al Ain, I know the main city quite well. Including how to get about easily on the metro. The metro was quite new when I was here last in 2018. I was surprised to see in my Facebook memories that was five years ago. Even more surprising, I was here at the same time, for the same days doing a piece of work on an early years project. I know from the many trips from Sydney in 2017-18 I don't really like living in a hotel for long periods of time. It's okay for a few days then it gets tiresome. 

On my last visit I stayed at an apartment hotel in Deira, a lovely old part of Dubai. It was a bit shabby, cheap and cheerful and had all the amenities I needed to live comfortably. It was close to the creek and interesting places to wander of an evening. This time I chose another apartment hotel in Deira. A less shabby one with the loveliest and most helpful staff. I arrived very early in the morning after the long flight from Brisbane, the 14 plus hour one over night and into the next day. I'm not the best at sleeping on a plane. This time, after two movies, I nodded off for a bit to my latest audio book. A short bit of a proper sleep. The decision to book an extra day and early morning check in at the hotel was a very good one, it also came with a much needed breakfast. 

A shower and rest were in order with nothing planned for the day. It's Ramadan here and school holidays so it's quieter than usual. I was a bit worried things would be closed, not so. It's been five years since I caught up with Rau and the lovely Maya, now a big 9 year old. Lunch at the Lime Tree Café didn't disappoint and as usual we picked up where we left off. A nice in person catch up. Most of my old peeps are in other places for the holidays. Kim and her family are still here and they are today's catch up. Heading out on their boat a bit later to catch the sunset. Then there's a car to pick up and trip to Al Ain. I may also explore the northern Emirates. It's been a while since I did that.

In the mean time, I'm heading across to the local supermarket for a few supplies then it's back on the metro to Dubai Mall to have a wander.  I don't really have the space to buy anything so it will just be a window shop. Well except if I find something I really can't resist. Possibly something special from here I can't get elsewhere. Something small, handbag small!

Not a bad spot to relax and read my book

No comments: