Friday 3 March 2023

Back south

It's been lovely coming back to Australia and catching up with everyone. Enjoying some lovely sunshine and beach time. Funny to think I'm heading away again in a few weeks, brings back memories of my nomad country hopping days. As one of my family said to me, it seems odd to be doing this at my life stage. Picking up and starting again. Yet to me it seems so normal, so natural to be going on another adventure. Unencumbered with things and debt and responsibilities. It's so very freeing. Being lighter. Being open to other ways of being. 

I'm really lucky because all the special people in my life are doing very well. The grandies are thriving in their schools, sporting endeavors, socially, and within their families. You see I have the very best daughter in laws as mums to my grandies. And of course my sons are the best dads too. So all is well in the southern hemisphere. I do feel privileged and grateful for this. Very grateful to have mr 4 snuggle up for the night and miss 8 (and a half) taking space on the other side of me. Very grateful to watch the Brisbane girls enjoying athletics and touch and netball and how they interact with their sporty friends. 

Next stop is New Zealand. This might not be the best of stops because my mother is not doing so well. Her freedom cup has been curtailed as she is no longer able to wander outside on her own and she does do her best to escape where she is. I'm staying in the bush, off grid, on our family land at my brother's place. A bath under the stars is planned and a wander through the stand of native trees. I'm more a salty than a freshy - more beach than rivers and bush but I do like that space too. 

It will also be the best of stops with mr just 13 yesterday. I can't wait. And then there's Jane and Smarty to catch up with. I usually hire a car and enjoy a road trip or two in NZ but the cost of a rental car made this unrealistic. I can't believe how expensive things are there. The conversations about interest rates and families struggling to make ends meet are common. I remember how it was in the '80s when the rates went to a staggering 20+%. We needed two incomes to cover that in a time when one income was usual. 

Today sitting in the sun and enjoying my book is the plan until the kids need picking up. Then it's full on fun and quite possibly pool time. It's lovely here. 

Oh loading the pics I remembered the flight. The second one I'd prefer to forget really! Over fourteen hours it's never my favorite although I've done it many times and will do it many more times. The first leg I sat next to the loveliest men; one a high school teacher, the other his brother in law. We had a lovely chat about education and different ways of working to engage kids. I got a little sleep too, my audio book providing a sleeping background over the hum of the plane. Dubai airport is always a treat and I picked up some goodies there for the family. I wandered and glanced up at the board to see my plane was boarding. Eeek I had to run for the gate! Thank goodness for the bag search before boarding.

The second leg, oh my the most interesting seat mates. One a very stressed and nervous 30+ heading to see her boyfriend in Aus. Her first flight on her own, her first long haul. When she wasn't sleeping she bounced around alternating between tears and conversation. I did feel for her as did the elderly flier sitting between us. She was a frequent flyer and yet did not know how to operate the screen. A few quick lessons and some lovely conversation later we had it up and running. I enjoyed her and she was so kind to miss 30+. I knew her age you see, because we had to help her with the forms needed. Otherwise I might have supposed her to be much younger. At least they helped make the flight entertaining, entertaining too the passengers in front and behind with miss 30+'s antics!

A girl and a dog 

Plane selfie - ready to fly!

No comments: