Wednesday 4 October 2023

Cruising - The final stop

The final stop was Seward. We were all packed up, breakfasted and off the ship early. What to do until our train journey to Anchorage set off? There's an aquarium with puffins and other sea life so that's where we wandered. The puffins were such clowns and seemed to enjoy playing up to the cameras. The sea lions were being fed and the other fish swimming around happily. It was a small place and the work they do preserving sea life and informing people about sea life was evident. I often find places like this are there to inform and preserve and many of their captive animals are one who would not survive back in the wild. 

Seward had good coffee and food and we wandered over to the library once we were done to enjoy the warmth with a good book. The train was going later so there was a lot of time to kill. Shopping in the local supermarket to stock up for the journey I realized just how expensive it was in this isolated place. The train journey was very scenic and I got to enjoy the company of a couple of women who belong to a Facebook group I'm on - Solo travelling women. We had a great catch up. 

Anchorage, well our first night was eventful. We were late arriving and when we arrived at our room there was a strong smell of smoke and other substances. A knock on the door was answered with a 'just a minute' and out came a young man in a fug of smoky smells. He looked as surprised to see us as we were to see him! It seems he was told the room was empty and he was able to sleep there. You see he was one of the many homeless in Anchorage. Down to reception and a new room, one in which one of the beds had been slept in. We remade it with clean sheets. 

Morning came around too quickly, it was very late when we arrived, and the girls left me on my own as they headed off to the airport and back to Australia and New Zealand. I must confess I felt more than a bit lonely so got up and headed out for a wander and breakfast. The helpful staff gave me a suggestion, it was packed with over an hour to wait so I wandered to a less busy place. There was a four table with a couple seated at it so I asked politely to join them. We had a lovely chat, turns out she was a recently retired teacher. Then three fishermen joined me and a lively discussion about fishing from Seward ensued as endless coffee was added to my cup. Okay and much needed coffee too. 

Almost time for the airport, just a few souvenirs to buy. The people in Anchorage were so helpful pointing me to the free airport shuttle so off I went. Next stop Vancouver late at night, and an interesting AirBnb. At least it was warmer there!



Puffin fun!


Glaciers everywhere

A scenic journey


No comments: