Wednesday 13 September 2023

Cruising Part 5

Maybe I need a better title for each of these posts. I didn't expect there to be so many! Anyhow, the evening promised an aurora borealis and I was fooled by the rainbow over the bay. False alarm. Seeing the real one meant getting up in the night and while I was all for that, the clouds closed in and we missed this chance. We were up very early to get a good place to view the Hubbard Glacier. Some from the ship went in a much smaller boat to get up very close. As I've been up close to glaciers before, even climbed up one, I preferred to stay on board where it was slightly warmer. About as warm as standing in front of an open freezer door.  

Have I mentioned anywhere yet about my packing gaff? I travel light, carry on light, even for a two week adventure. I had looked at the weather, great it's summer; Vancouver  looks hot, Alaska not too cold; and packed my bikinis in preference to my warm coat. Rookie mistake, at least I did pack my light rain coat and had layers and a warm pashmina so made do. It was just a bit chillier in these parts than I'd imagined, even in summer.  

I waited patiently up top at a window opening to the glacier side of the ship with my big camera and long lens. What a lovely journey up Disenchantment Bay. The mist was low on the hills, mountains peeking out up higher and small ice burgs rocking in the ships wake. The best thing was the crew and their wonderful hot chocolate, topping up mine when needed with a smile. I even had an a salaam alikom from the photographer, assuming the pashmina around my head in lieu of a hat was a hijab. We had a lovely chat, he had some great travel stories, and he offered to take my photo - no thanks the selfie I took will never see the light of day!

It was amazing seeing this massive glacier, seeing the ice right up the valley and the bright spots where it has calved. The results in the water as large blocks of ice. No amount of description here can do this place justice so I'll leave it to the pics. Some are from my phone with a couple from my Canon. We sailed away once the excursion boat was back and headed for our final stop overnight to Seward. 

The sky was once again amazing from the front of the ship, the sun still up until very late and a half light from there. The whales were out to play and we watched them from the warmth with cocktails in hand, the late sun lighting up the bar. 


Hubbard Glacier

The excursion boat heading off

Late night sky

No comments: