Saturday 9 May 2009

I should.....




It's one of those days when I'm sitting around home thinking of all the things I should and could do, and getting no further than thinking. One of the reason's I'm perhaps a little lazy is that it's 43C outside. That's rather warm. Another is that I've had a lovely weekend of friends. Even another that we had late night.

Sue and her cousin Caroll, visiting from the UK, and Annie came to stay. The house suddenly filled up with chatter and laughter and catching up. And of course the odd drink. We went exploring when it cooled a bit visiting Sheikh Zayed Palace Museum. I live about 5 minutes walk from the museum but had never visited before. It's an amazing place, built for the heat of this place, a quiet sanctuary in the city. We were privileged to see some traditional dancing, a treat for Carol to see on her quick visit to the UAE.

I drove to the other museum via the oasis. Yep got the hang of this driving caper. We then decided a trip up Jebal Hafeet was in order. Only my second day driving and I conquered the mountain. I think I'm finding it easy to drive because I'm not having to navigate as well. I know my way to most of the places I go so don't have to worry about getting lost all the time, a bonus.

We visited the hotel and walked through the lovely gardens rich with the smell of frangipani, minus the flower or two that graced Caroll's hair. Watching the sun set over the desert, over Al Ain was magical. It was a bit dusty so the photos weren't great. I did get one of the road, be impressed it really is as windy as it looks. The drivers here are mad, passing on blind corners and cutting in with no warning so the trip was exciting at times with the odd swear word.

They left this morning, the house is very quiet and I'm still not wanting to get out of my own way. Perhaps a trip to the gym, via car, is in order. Then a swim. I've got a movie date at 4pm with Mary-Anne and Nina and her girls. Star trek, should be fun if I don't freeze in the extreme air conditioning of the theatre.

The other photos are of the frangipani and Annie, Caroll and Sue at one of the higher lookouts. Note the haze in the background.

No comments: