Friday 18 August 2023

Cruising Part 1

Summer in England can be a little fickle and this year it has been! Since the lovely days in June following royal exploits, I've had the good fortune to enjoy the Guildford Festival listening to opera on a balcony dated back to the1600s from the cobbled street below; celebrated birthdays, mine and others; wandered canals visiting Norman castle ruins, picking blackberries and enjoying the swans and other wild life; and going on a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska. I was never sure about cruising, and have made comments about my first being when I'm 90 and in need of someone cooking and cleaning for me! I also knew this particular cruise went to places not accessible by road or rail so when Jane asked, I jumped to join.

Jane is the best travel companion and she had two friends with her this trip so I joined them exploring Vancouver and surrounds for a few days before heading to the ship. Roll back a bit to the flight over. Flying from Gatwick direct, I got a window seat for the day time flight. The view was amazing flying over Iceland, Greenland and Canada. I sat glued to the window and took a few pics of the glaciers, snowfields and ice bound seas below. Greenland was white? My seat mates were a father and son from New Zealand, now living in the UK, and they shared how they go to Canada to see their son/brother and to go mountain biking and hiking. The inability to travel lately has meant this is the first time they've gone in 3 years. Much excitement and another separated family story to add to my extensive collection. 

I've added some photos from the plane window below. They are of course not the best pics through a window but  I hope they give some idea of  immensity of the snow and icefields. Vancouver, well I've always found expat Canadians to be the very best of peoples and getting from the airport to the hotel showed me ones at home are too. It was my first time in Canada so I relied on going by train and then wandering with a vague idea of where I needed to be and asking people. Such lovely conversations were had and I found the hotel just when I was ready to expire, it was hot you see and I was dressed for the plane! 

Vancouver, what an interesting place. Jane and friends' hotel was in the central city and, while it was okay, the surrounding streets were not always. I was surprised to see so many homeless people and the open drug use in the streets. People doing meth and other drugs taking up the whole footpath and squabbling amongst themselves. Jane did some research after seeing catatonic people standing bent over and found there was a new drug which makes people into zombies? Not a good scene, and watching the poor ambulance first responders dealing with this was confronting. 

On the plus side, we did an evening ghost tour and learnt about the history of the place. I didn't realize how relatively new Vancouver was as a city, not much older than some NZ cities. Getting to know Mish and Bonnie over a lovely pasta and cocktails was great, welcomed and fitting in with this group who had journeyed up the coast from San Fran to Seattle then bussed across the border. We also took a trip out to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and had a wander through the park there. What a lovely spot in the sunshine. 

I've wandered alone so often I'd forgotten what it's like to have a suitcase minder, where I could wander off for food and loo without having to take my bag. This trip it was a small carry on for me but the others had bigger cases from longer trips to manage. The ghost tour made negotiating the city easier as we went past the key spots on our wanders. The busses and trains also took us where we needed. 

Boarding the cruise ship was easier than boarding a plane so soon we were on board and ready for a cocktail. Apart from the four I boarded with, there were other friends on the boat, ones in for a surprise as my joining them was a well kept secret. Pina coladas all round as we caught up on all the news and enjoyed some food, buffet style with lots of choice. Then we were on the way, pulling out of the harbor along the most scenic waterway. The first evening was getting to know the ship, fine dining and hitting all the bars. Fine dining, imagine not being able to choose which starter you wanted and getting both choices delivered. Made the most of the lovely food slow dining with friends and some fine wine. 

The next day was a sea day and then it was Ketchikan on Revillagigedo Island, a place only accessible by sea, to hunt for bears, salmon and eagles. 100% strike rate as we watched a mum and baby cavorting in a stream chasing the enormous king salmon coming up stream with bald eagles looking on waiting for some left overs. Wow moments after wandering through the forest and seeing bear sign on the sides.
Later we got to see a large male black bear in the creek running through the middle of town. He was testing the water looking for food and had quite an audience. Unfortunately being in town meant he was a risk and the rangers had to chase him back to the wild, and if not, put him down. Sad really as we're in his space.  

For a first shore excursion it was magical, except for the number of people disgorged from the ships in port. People wandering around shopping and eating, meaning this small town was packed and noisy. Cruise ships are such a big boost to the local economy and they had been missed during the stay at home period we've just had so we were very welcome. The driver shared with us how the seasonal labor market worked in these town, students coming to work the season and heading back for university or work as the winter closed in. Not sure I'd like to winter over in the cold and dark although this island didn't always get snow, in part because of it's maritime location. 

Flying over Greenland

Steam clock - Vancouver 
Cruise terminal - all aboard!

Under way!
Cabin buddies 

A rescued bald eagle 

Ketchikan Stream.........

Complete with large bear

Ketchikan village

No comments: