Wednesday 28 June 2023

A right royal time

This week has been one to bottle. Royal Ascot means the royals are out and about and I had two wonderful opportunities to see them, one very much minus the crowds so I got up close. While I'm not really a true blue royal watcher, I chose not to go with the crowds and camp out on the Mall, I do love a bit of royal people watching. Well people watching in general. My lovely friend gave me two opportunities to be front row. The first the Royal Garter Ceremony at Windsor, the second the change over from cars to carriages in The Great Park. 

These were both events where only a few folks get to go, all dressed up (mostly) for the occasions. Hats, bubbles and picnics were the order of both days with people out socializing and enjoying the sunshine. It's been so lovely and warm here, lovely days to venture out without the usual coat. I've even topped up my tan, important for my next adventure as bikinis will be involved. 

Being in the grounds of Windsor Castle is always a highlight for me. We sat on the grass in the sun waiting for the special folks to come down the path to St George's Chapel for the ceremony. There were plenty of other important people wandering about too, including those privileged enough to go to the service in the church. The police and guardsmen were placed along the route, the Household Cavalry band marched its way to the parade ground, and then came the royals. Princes Edward and William were deep in conversation, laughing and enjoying their wander through the people. Then came the King and Camilla, smiling and acknowledging the crowd. It's hard to make it sound special really, the atmosphere was wonderful as the procession was cheered on. 

It was really hot, even for me, so I was pleased to have my hat and some water. The poor guardsmen with their heavy uniforms and bear skin hats didn't fare so well in the heat. One across from us was swaying worryingly, sword raised and the ladies behind him looking concerned. He managed to stay upright, until he didn't! When the royals and others were safely in the chapel we decamped to get a better view of the carriages returning from the church to the cheers of the crowd, the loudest cheer saved for William and Kate.

Heading to The Great Park, behind those big gates and fences, was a treat. This time I had the picnic packed, plus the local royal school  PTA had home made cakes and scones. There were so few people here, a real invite only crowd. The school kids were there in force and many elderly people were enjoying the day out too. Knowing where the change over happens is key and I had a front row spot, chatting to the folks who let me in. Being from New Zealand really helps on occasions like this. The carriages arrived to a murmur of excited anticipation, then the cars arrive. A procession of Rolls Royce full of royals. although not Kate and Will this time. I got some good up close pics as the King changed from the car to the carriage right in front of me. 

After enjoying our picnic, we drove through Ascot and saw the carriages returning minus their royal cargo. Ascot was heaving with people and the outfits and hats were quite beautiful. The shoes, well not sure how I'd last a day in some of them. I did have shoe envy, although I increased my collection by three the previous week just so I had a fancy enough pair for this occasion. Here are some pics from The Great Park day. I was too busy enjoying Windsor to get any good ones there.

Your carriage awaits


Here? Looks comfy!
Sun hats on!

                                    
Off we go!


It's not Ascot without Princess Anne

The drive out - following the car with the police bikes




No comments: