Wednesday 4 February 2009

Almost the weekend

It's been an interesting week. I finally feel like I have my bearings after getting lost going to school this morning. The taxi driver went a different way but we got to one of the schools then couldn't find the other. Tracey and I ended up walking a bit then getting into another taxi and calling someone. Imagine our surprise to look across the road and, you guessed it, there was the school. The very helpful driver laughed and drove us around the roundabout to get there, much relief all round.

Tracey and I have an interesting history and we have only known each other a few days. We both got on the plane in Brisbane and ended up sitting together for some of the first leg. I bailed to give her some room as the plane was far from full so we didn't really chat.

Getting onto a full plane in Singapore we got chatting with the lady in front and realised that not only were we both going to Al Ain but we were also both working for the same company. We live in the same building on different sides and work in the same school, how bizarre is that.

We had a chuckle about this set of coincidences today over coffee and Cinnebon buns. The great thing is that we get on so well, similar cup half full philosophies and similar ways of working.

We got a ride to Al Ain Mall with one of our colleagues and that was when things started to fall into place. I realised how close we are to the city centre, the mall and other amenities, all walking distance for weekend shops. The map's making sense, hope we don't get lost going to school tomorrow.

5 comments:

Di Mackey said...

;) It's not Rome, I'm sure the map will work where you are.

I'm booked back in Rome in March ... will think of you xo

Jule's Short Story said...

Lol, yes it does once I get used to being in the Northern Hemisphere.

I have hols in March if you need a map reader......

Keri said...

Oh how it brings back memories. Getting lost was always fun, and as for those walks remember not to try the 45dreg heat days

Di Mackey said...

I'll meet you there if you leave the map behind ;)

I'm there on 12 March, suit you? When are your holidays?

Jule's Short Story said...

My hols are the week beginning 22 March, just one week. Left the map in NZ, know I don't need one in Roma!

Oh yes, getting lost, such fun. We have no drivers so have to rely on directing taxi drivers. Still quite cool here, pleasant to walk in. Know where the malls are and how to walk there now :)