Friday 8 May 2009

Wheels

Yep, I have wheels. A gold Mazda 1.6 tiptronic something. Very cool. Lesley took me to the rental place after we got some top ups for the weekend from our local. It was surprisingly easy to adjust to driving on the other side, surprisingly easy to adjust to the traffic and driving style here. I drove to work this morning without a hitch, and home to the Rotana for Thursday drinks.

Belinda joined us but there were several others missing in action. We hadn't long arrived and the waiter showed a couple of women to our table thinking us regulars were the ones waiting for them. Turned out to be a happy accident.

We are all in the same business and had a good catch up. They joined their group and we joined them to a bit later, the stayers that is. It's great to meet new people and this group were lovely, a range of cultures, ages and occupations. I met the lady we see at the pool with her little girl most weeks. She's Turkish so we had a good chat. She was lonely going to the pool by herself so now she knows she has friends there to chat with.

I quietly refused the offer to go clubbing later. Annie, Sue and Sue's cousin are coming for the weekend so will need a good nights sleep to keep up with them! I'll be able to drive them up Jebel Hafeet, show them the sights, can't wait. Next weekend I hope to venture into Oman. Rau and I have a promise of camping with some friends. Others tell us it's too hot and I suspect they're right. We are camping by the beach so I'm sure we can bail to a hotel if needed.

As I mentioned above, the car is gold. I just happen to have gold nails at the mo, a hangover from the ball. I said to the rental car man that the car matched my polish. He just about fell over laughing at this ditzy woman who didn't care about the state of the car, just the colour. I'm sure he expects to see me back soon with a dent or two, I hope not!

I have wheels so expect some more photos of my adventures. I was amazed how liberating having a car is. I feel a stronger sense of belonging, knowing that I can drive, can go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi for a day or a weekend. Knowing that I can get groceries without a hassle. That is, after I've picked the car up from the Rotana in the morning......

No comments: