Tuesday 12 May 2009

Communication

Communication with others is interesting at the moment. I've been getting odd text in the middle of the night, for example Nick text me for Mother's Day at 1.30am. I sent back something a bit garbled but really, really appreciated hearing from him. Tim managed his message at a more civilised hour, also much appreciated. It's so wonderful to hear from you guys, I do miss spending time with you.

Last night I was startled awake at 11.30 by this text from UAEATRAFFIC.....

Congratulations on obtaining your driving license. thank you and we wish you safe driving through following the traffic laws.

I lay awake for quite some time, it was also very hot last night, pondering this message and wondering it I had already got a speeding ticket. On the cards because a) I have a lead foot and b) the speed limit signs are not obvious. I also got passed by an officer of the law when I was going 100 in an 80 zone. Sorry, I really didn't see the sign officer.

I have included this text here to help others who have recently received their licenses. Apparently others have had this same cheery message but in Arabic. I feel privileged.

It's been difficult keeping in touch with others lately. There has been a crack down on illegal communication modes, including Skype and Voip. Not that I would use such illegal methods of communication myself. The penalties are severe, up to 2 years in a jail and massive fines for breaking this law. There are more details on this link if anyone is interested.

http://www.clydeco.com/knowledge/articles/voice-over-ip-in-the-uae.cfm

Suffice to say, I'll be contacting people by phone or text, hopefully not in the middle of the night.

No comments: