Wednesday 4 September 2024

Portugal

School holidays and summer, must be time for a trip somewhere? South of France was top of the list, and too hard to get because of the Olympics and trains and planes not quite going where we needed. Portugal it is then, such a hard decision! I loved my 2013 trip to Lisbon so it was a no brainer to go and explore more of this beautiful country. Airbnb came up trumps with some great accommodation and the BA flights were quite cheap. I also have a lovely friend from the Caymans living there so we got to catch up at her lovely taverna in the hills. 

Lisbon didn't disappoint, it was hot and busy and lovely to revisit and show my two travel buddies around. The hills were just as steep, the trams too packed to ride on so we wandered places with stops for the lovely pastries, custard tarts, coffee and wine on the way. We explored the tourist areas, riding on the funicular and visiting the castle and other spots. A swim was needed after a couple of hot days so off we went to Cascais on the train. 

The sea was freezing, very refreshing, and on the way back we visited Belem Tower. Wandering in the tower and up stairs to the top. There was a long queue outside and luckily I'd got some tickets on the Get your Guide app as walk up tickets for the day were sold out. Visiting late in the day meant watching the sky change colour, just beautiful. 

We picked up a car from near the airport so we could travel north, visiting special places and spending time in Porto. Drive on Holidays is the best company with friendly helpful staff and the great cars, and so much cheaper than the mainstream car hire companies. Best of all it was in an industrial park near the airport not at the airport meaning I didn't have to negotiate airport traffic on my first drive on the left for a while! There were a few false starts then we were off to Nazare via Peniche. 

Nazare, a place I've always wanted to experience, and photograph the big big waves. Alas that's a winter pastime so  we just got to stand up by that famous lighthouse and wonder at how the waves could reach so high,  astounding really! I had the biggest smile the whole time I was there, enjoyed riding the funicular from the beach to the town above and the wander down to the fort and lighthouse. Next visit will be in winter. The apartment we stayed at had a washing machine and best of all an outside line on pulleys to use, very much a novelty. The paddle in the sea was very refreshing, watching the cool sea mist roll in over the town and the people departing the beach. 

While I love Portugal, I do love a sea swim and the water is just too cold for me. The Atlantic coasts are amazing, the seafood fresh and delicious, the people friendly and helpful, the climate benign. All things that might attract me to live there, except for the cold sea. 

Speaking of helpful people, the place I parked the car, or rather large SUV, was a bit of a challenge to get into and out of. Down a narrow alley, between two low poles, and left into an angled and sloping park. No place to turn so backing out was the only way. Mr 14 stood by one pole, Jules the other as I backed up the steep hill. Then the cavalry arrived, two lovely local men who guided, yelled, gesticulated, scratched their heads and conferred. All in Portuguese! Between them and my other two helpful males, and with much waving of arms, I made the 27 point turn needed to get out to the alley. I think the locals may have been impressed, especially that I thanked them in their own language. Suffice to say after that I was confident to drive anywhere! 

Next stop was Terrie's place, off the motorway and up into the hills. Thank goodness for Google maps. More about that next post. 

Funicular fun!

Inside the Belem Tower


Belem Tower

Deserted beach


Cold sea

As the mist rolls in

To the lighthouse

A surfing mecca

No comments: