Thursday 16 July 2009

Winter Canterbury





It got to 2C in Oxford today. Winter Canterbury is bleak, bleaker this year than I've ever seen it but the people, while complaining daily, still go out and about as they do at other times of the year. Sarah and I walked Sam around Hagley Park today, braving the bone chilling cold. Sam loved it, with his light fluffy winter coat a bit of outside exercise was just what he needed.

There were others out, children and mums attending school holiday entertainment; tourists punting down the Avon through the botanic gardens; colleagues gossiping while walking in their lunch hours; men, and the odd woman, running puffing in the freezing air; kids frolicking in the old leaves; golfers doing what golfers do; and dog owners walking their friends, nodding to others as they pass.

We finished our walk at Vic's Cafe with a lentil pie, a yummy lentil pie and a double espresso. Good comfort food for the expectant mum and the grandma in waiting. I drove out to Oxford in the afternoon and caught up with the olds. It was a lovely surprise to see my niece Kate, her wee sister Sophie, her cousin Kelsey and mum Helen. It's been a while and Kate's much taller than me now, not hard I hear you say.
There's things that I'm enjoying about being home. Catching up with family is wonderful, catching up with friends is a bonus. I've had heaps of calls, lots of lovely conversations with those I'm close to. Can't wait to catch up with others tomorrow, after the usual sleep in that is.

The photos are of Sam looking happy, the winter walkers and punting on the Avon. Note the pink blossom on the tree in the background, spring is coming.

No comments: