Friday 3 July 2009

The beginning of the end

Well for this semester anyway. We had our last day at school today, a day for farewelling friends and talking about our upcoming holiday destinations. Two of us are heading back to NZ, one to Canada, one to Aussie and others to Oman, Egypt, Syria, Jordan and many staying at home in the UAE to weather out the summer heat. And hot it is. Although the website said 48C, I suspect it was a little hotter than that. Compare that with the 4C Christchurch is on at the moment, well I could do with a short winter.

One more week of work, next week I've got professional development and I'll be busy packing and buying those last minute gifts. My suitcase will have very little in it apart from gifts, what else can I take? My clothes are summer ones and as I'm coming back I don't need to pack up my flat. After last year's struggles with weight going home, this is a bonus. It also makes leaving more relaxing.

I'm hoping while I'm away that my washing machine will get some much needed repairs and some of the other small annoying things will be fixed. Once again I have a few water issues, seems to be the story of my time in the Middle East. Will add them to the maintenance list.

It's been a long semester and I'm looking forward to the next one. Looking forward to the Eid breaks where I'll be able to see more of this area. I've got trips to Egypt, Jordan and possibly Turkey in the pipeline.

So it's only 8 more sleeps until I'm flying through the air in a long metal tube with lots of other people. Long haul flying, not my favourite pass time but a means to an end.

No comments: