Saturday 6 June 2009

Degrees of relativity

All things are relative, take the discussion I had at the pub last night about the temperature here at the moment:

Wasn't it great to be able to open all the windows and turn off the aircon today

Yeah, it was great to be able to go for a walk to the shop, amazing that it's so much cooler at the moment

Yeah, I've been sleeping without the aircon for a couple of nights. It's humid, wonder if it's going to rain (wistfully with a sigh)

So what was it yesterday?
Oh, 40 or 41, so much cooler than 48. It got to 51 the other day.

You get the drift. While people in Christchurch are barely getting into double figures, we're talking about how cool 40C is. Well, compared to the thermometer topping 50, it is really cool. Surprisingly, noticeably cool.

I've acclimatised here really well. I do like the heat and only have my kitchen aircon on on a regular basis. It cools my bedroom without too much noise. Being a light sleeper, noise in my bedroom even the steady hum of an aircon disturbs my sleep. And I need my beauty sleep.

Later I write, sitting here with a very full tum after the most delicious Indian food. We went to the movies today after gyming and swimming and saw a clever movie, Sleuth. I don't remember the last time I saw a movie with two people in it, two very good actors that kept me riveted in the freezing cold theatre.

I also went car shopping today with Rau and my slight hangover from the night before. I'd decided to buy a second hand car, something cheap and preferably 4WD for when I bring my bike over. Well, that was until I went to the Toyota showroom and saw my FJ Cruiser on sale. It has been said that the FJ Cruiser is sex on wheels. It's truly a boys car, built like a Tonka truck, but I love it and when I see it cruise past on the road I have car envy, me who really doesn't care that much for cars. Anyhow, it's come down to 110K AED or about 55k NZD. Not bad for a brand new car.

I talked about this with a friend who told me that someone he knew got his for 85k AED. It was a demonstrator model. That got me thinking so tomorrow I'm off to test drive (and with my budget that's probably all I'll get to do) and enquire about the demo models. I can justify the cost, after all the repay per month is less than I'm paying for my hire car and I get to own it.

The Indian we went to has the best Indian food I've ever eaten, a view shared by Mary-Anne and Rau. The restaurant is out in the middle of nowhere on a long stretch of road between two roundabouts, miss the slip road as I did once and it's a bit of a round trip to get back. the setting is lovely, next to a walk along the waddie amongst date palms. We plan to have a big dinner there one night soon, a last fling before we all head off on holiday. There were photos taken at the Indian so will include them here soon as they're on Rau's camera.

No comments: