Thursday 4 December 2014

That sick thing

So being sick got me good and proper. A wet sail possibly didn't help, I was already battling a little something and it bit on Monday. By Tuesday I realised that I needed some help, how hard is it to find a doctor in Wellington? Really hard at a moments notice it seems. And very expensive. How was I to know there was a small step one had to take to be seen by a doctor? One has to register.

With some help from my lovely friends at work a doctor was found, my first visit to a GP since my medical in the UAE. It was quick and painless, no nasty needles mentioned, and expensive. $85 plus prescription costs for a five minute consult.

Doctor: (After a 2 second listen) You seem to have a deep seated chest infection, oh and glands and a sinus infection. You need antibiotics. Here you go. Goodbye.

Me: Speechless. (Really and surprisingly speechless with a that's it? Look)

No medical history questions, blood pressure taking, no real check over, no offer that if it's not better by Friday then do this, no suggestions about how long I might need off work resting. I must have looked healthy in all other ways I guess.

Today was my first day back at work, well back at the Advisory Leadership course I have been attending. I couldn't miss the last session. I have made some lovely friends on this course, a group of like minded folks with whom I have that secret handshake of a shared set of experiences. We just pick up where we left off each time. Very special, and very much thanks to some wonderful facilitation by Michelle and her trusty side kick Claire for McCormack and Associates. Such a lot of learning and affirming.

Tomorrow I will be in catch up mode in the office. I have already made the paella for tomorrow nights Christmas party at the sheds, a Spanish theme for for Pete's shed with sangria too and maybe a flamenco dancer. I have my red shoes ready. It will be interested to join this annual shed crawl with lots of different themes, drinks and food. After racing of course.

I suspect I might need a quiet Saturday although Christmas shopping for the Aussie crew is top on the list. I must check out postal times tomorrow. I had a treat today, a lovely email from April on Cayman Brac, a Christmassy let's Skype soon email. It's been a while so I can't wait to have a good catch up. I do enjoy the social times around Christmas, people wanting to spend time together. Bodes well for the next few weeks.



No comments: