Thursday 10 January 2013

An Unexpected Journey

What a total pleasure it was to see the Hobbit this evening, an unexpectedly emotional journey as I revisited home through the eyes of Bilbo Baggins from Bagend. The sweeping mountain vistas, the highlands of the McKenzie country, the soft greenness of Matamata, the depth and breadth that is the small country I hail from. I got a little emotional as I watched, tears came to my eyes behind those fashion statement 3D glasses. 

The movie was fantastic, I didn't notice the length as I was engrossed in the story that took me back to my early teen years. A favourite book of mine, later a favourite book of my sons. We read the Hobbit to them as a bed time story, several bed time stories, and found an amazing illustrated copy for them to enjoy. I'm not sure how many times Nick read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, I know he out did my multiple readings. 

When I was home I had the good fortune to fly Air New Zealand on the Aussie NZ leg of my journey. While I was flying I enjoyed the Blog Peter Jackson had made of the making of the Hobbit. The story of the movie and the movie family enhanced my viewing, made the movie somehow more enjoyable when I saw the locations they had scouted with the characters in place. Air NZ must have the only safety briefings in the world of flying that are enjoyable. Here is the latest one, An Unexpected Briefing.



No comments: