Thursday 27 August 2009

Week 2

It's hard to believe that it's only the end of the second week in my new job. I actually argued with Rau that we'd been here longer, she was right. I am occasionally wrong, but mostly just slightly mistaken like this time. The reason it feels like longer is that I feel like I've known my new colleagues forever, sound familiar?

I think the key with the team is that they are positive people, confident in what they do and not afraid to take a risk. That's the sort of people I like to work with. Five of us have had some extra bonding time, traveling the almost 2 hours to Abu Dhabi several times. A car full of women, yep no one gets a word in. Funny, none of the blokes have suggested they travel with us.

It's also been fantastic catching up with friends. Friends who phone and text and email, usually just when I need some local or home contact. The Qatar crew have been chatting, as we always did so well. Helen's hoping to come and visit me, can't wait to walk her around Al Ain. I know she'll be up to it! Remember there's always a bed for you and a willing tour guide.

I was feeling like I'd been a bit tardy with my emails so wrote to Annie. As good friends do, we both had the same thought at the same time. My email arrived as she was halfway through hers. Lyn and Shirley had a similar experience.

Tonight Rau and I are off to a KINA (Kiwis in NA) barbeque at Sarah and Haydens. Hayden's on leave from Afganistan, it sounds like an interesting place to be. I must stop rambling and get organised, I'm procrastinating. I've got a large Shari fish to get ready to bake. I love the faces of the men at the fish stand when I tell them not to cut the head and tail off the fish. They usually think it's a misunderstanding so we go through the charades until we understand each other. Their smiles tell me all is well.

No comments: