Tuesday 4 August 2009

Hear that.....



It's the sound of silence, not the song, the sound of an empty house after almost a week of having a full house. We dropped Kez and Sasi off to fly home to Brisbane this afternoon, it felt strange that I won't see them for ages. We did the same for Nick on Sunday evening.

One of the down sides to living where I live is that I don't get to see the kids very often. They have their own lives, their own homes, jobs and wives and partners so don't rely on contact as much as they used to. It often amazes me that they are off out in the world, those small boys who took up so much of my time for the past few decades. Amazes and delights me.

I am also delighted, when we all manage to get together, how well the lads get on with each other. Granted they turn from 26-30 year olds to 7 year olds in a very short time, especially when alcohol is added. They push each other around at the smallest provocation and end up laughing, chasing each other around and of course arguing, nothing changes that much.


Sasi really wanted it to snow while she was here, a novelty when you're from Northern Queensland. Tim to the rescue. He and Sarah drove the crew to Porters Pass as some sticky nor'westerly snow was falling. It was carnage of course, one pushed another, the other threw the snow balls. The girls could just shake their heads and I'm sure Sarah had a passing wish that the baby would be a girl. They descended on us wet and cold and of course ready for the next meal.

Well, that's that over for a year or so. I'm hoping to spend next birthday in a warmer place, gather the family for a holiday in the sun. By then there'll be a new addition I'll be looking forward to meeting. The photos are one of the crew taken by Ruby. Yep, a 12 year old had much more luck than I did at getting them all in one spot, thanks Ruby. The other is Sam getting in on the act, looks far more fierce that he really is.

No comments: