Tuesday 14 April 2009

Mondays

On a Monday night I meet Ann at the Hilton for a yoga session, two hours of bend and stretch, relax and chat after. I usually also walk there and back a good walk of 30 odd minutes each way. The sights I see make the walk a pleasure, although I miss the company I used to walk with in Qatar. Not quite the same really.

Last week I watched a large group of men, most probably from India and Pakistan, playing cricket on a vacant lot. They were wearing their traditional clothing, mostly in their whites, very fitting. There was also a game of soccer going on next door. I didn't have my camera, unusual for me so missed some classic shots. I was disappointed earlier in the week to drive past and see piles of dirt and trucks on the site.

I was really surprised tonight, also minus camera thinking the opportunity was lost, to see a game in progress. The men had moved the pitch a little to the right and the fielders were in the foundation hole, hows that for resilience. They had a big audience and there were plenty of cheers. The soccer game was a no go, the trucks were parked on that pitch.

I've had lots of discussions with the Pakistani taxi drivers about cricket. They get quite animated and know the New Zealand cricketers very well. There's talk of moving the cancelled tour of Pakistan to Dubai and there's lots of excitement here about that. Might struggle to get a taxi those day because, as one of the drivers told me, he drives everyday except when there's cricket on. That's dedication for you.

There were heaps of New Zealanders at yoga this week, a takeover as the instructor suggested. Great to have a catch up with others from home and I'm sure we'll catch up again next week.

No comments: