Monday 6 April 2009

Midday at the oasis

Ann and I went for a wander to the oasis to test out her new camera. The main oasis is a short stroll from my place on one side and hers on the other. I took heaps of photos but have mislaid my camera cord so I can't add them here yet. I tidied my flat so guess I've put it safely somewhere.

It was late morning when we set off and usually we would have been out in the midday sun but Saturday dawned damp and cooler than usual after a stormy night, an ideal day for exploring.

I've noticed quite a few people on bikes here lately, mostly the Indian men but on Saturday I saw two mountain bikers on flash bikes. I've been told by others that it's not appropriate for a woman to ride a bike here, the proof of my eyes and discussions with locals tells me otherwise. I will bring mine here when I come back after the break so I can explore further afield.

But I digress. Ann and I walked into the oasis and along came a smiling local in a Merc convertable, a lovely green one. I admired his car, he admired us. He told me that we had to take care walking on the raod into the oasis, or at least that's what I thought he said. I nodded and smiled.

He grinned back at us looking very dignified as the roof came down on his head and in his surprise banged his chin on the window. We kept straight faces as teachers can and kept talking to him. We had a giggle later of course.

Imagine our surprise when he returned, still with that lovely smile, stopped his car and handed us a green bag with two cans of lemonade. Very welcome ice cold leomonade. It appears I might have said yes to his offer of a drink! I really must brush up on my Arabic.

This is typical of the generosity of the people here. I suspect he thought we were tourists given the cameras and my NZ tee shirt.

I must get going. I'm off to some PD today so a later start. What a luxury an extra hour is.

No comments: