Friday 27 March 2009

It rained here today


It rained here today, a few drops on the car window on the way home but rain none the less. Last night there was quite a storm. Booming thunder and sparkling, crackling lightening disturbed my Skype conversation. At first I couldn't believe what I was hearing so went out to check, in time to see Christine wrestling with the outside door as the gale blew the sand full force into her face.

I ran to shut all my open things and then watched the spectacle. When it had calmed a bit, I went onto the roof to watch the show and get some photos. The lightening was off in the distance and so no clear shots but it was fun to watch the locals outside dancing, shouting and playing in the wild weather.

Today I hear that parts of Al Ain, Dubai and Abu Dhabi copped a massive hail storm, winds and dust caused heaps of accidents on the road and everyone had a story to tell of the stormy night. Manal and Sarah got hail and a whirlwind of sand and dust. Sarah watched the locals quickly vacate the shisha cafe where she was eating and run inside while she sat and ate. The sand in her food defeated her so she beat a dignified retreat home, only to get caught in the hail storm.

It's going to be quiet at work next week. Morag and Sarah are on holiday, one at home with her family the other off to the UK for a family wedding. I'm hoping to get some down time this week, more time for the gym and pool as well as yoga on Monday night with Anne. Anne's another KINA along with Kate who arrived last week.

Anne and I went to the Hilton for a yoga session, mmmmm can I bend THAT way, really? It was good to meet others from here outside of work and talk about things not work related, difficult at times with a large group who live and work together. After yoga I walked home camera in hand and took some night shots, not very successfully. I need some more tuition Di, would love you to come and stay. The only shot I was remotely happy with is here.

2 comments:

Di Mackey said...

I had to laugh ... sure ;)

I'm in Istanbul in April, Napoli in May, Genova in July ... June at your place then?

Hmmm, I'll see if that man of mine is still speaking after I mention it to him xo

Jule's Short Story said...

Mmmmm OK, June it is! You could come April, only 3 or so hours from Istanbul.

Bring that man of yours too, the invitations for him as well you of course :)

Will arrange some nice weather......