Sunday 11 January 2009

Life's simple pleasures

One of my simple pleasures is walking. I enjoy walking and talking with others, solving the troubles of the world, of our lives and the lives of others. I enjoy walking along the beach, winter and summer, gathering the bits I find on the shore. Today's pleasure was walking in the Port Hills, on my own, iPod belting out my music. I do this as often as I can, as often as I need to.

Walking in the hills is how I make sense of my world, where I commune with mother nature, connect with the Atua Papatuanuku and Ranginui and their offspring. I do my thinking while I'm walking and often my shuffled playlist brings forward a song that matches the moment, the people I am thinking of. An example was Bohemian Rhapsody coming on as I walked down the steps where the infamous Hulme Parker murder took place so many years ago.

While I walk I draft conversations with some people, emails to others. I think about the past and plan my future, think about the people in my life I am close to, those I would like to be closer to. The conversations I draft in my head don't often need to be had or the emails sent. I can usually figure out the answers to the unasked questions, why things are as they are, how I can make the things happen that need to happen, what to leave alone, what needs action. All very productive and surprisingly relaxing.

I will miss the hills when I'm away, although there are hills just outside of Al Ain and I am close to the hills of other parts of the world. I'm sure I'll find somewhere to have some productive head space, to commune with mother nature, to solve the mysteries of my world on my travels.

PS I drafted this post while in the hills, of course.

No comments: