Tuesday 6 January 2009

Gaza

I have not written about what's happening in Gaza for two reasons. The first is that I feel ill informed. Because of this I have read as much as I can about the situation. Blogs give a personalised view, especially when they link to others with family in Gaza, with real life experiences of what it feels like to be on the receiving end of war. The western news bulletins are often sensationalised, unbalanced.

I know of the history of that part of the world but mostly from the Israeli side. That's what I was taught at school. I was ignorant of Islam and of Muslim peoples until I observed their way of life when I went to Turkey and stayed with Di. I engaged more when I lived and worked in a Muslim country earlier this year.

Since my experiences in Qatar, I have advocated for the Muslims who are family oriented and peaceful people. People who made me welcome and gave me their friendship. Others have asked me: "What was it like?" Well, it was like being a part of a large family. Like with Christians there are Muslim fundamentalists, probably in equal numbers.

When I see the atrocities of Gaza I see the personal face not the face of multitudes. I see the faces of my Muslim friends, the children I worked with in the schools, the familes I watched playing with their children in the parks, the large family groups picnicking and laughing.

Which brings me to the other reason I haven't blogged about Gaza. Every time I think about it, read about it, see the footage, I feel a grief that takes over, anger at the stupidity of men who fight without thought for the civilians, the women and children, anger at the lack of value placed on the lives of those killed. I have always wondered why some peoples lives are worth less than others. This anomaly has occurred throughout history, usually with the Caucasian peoples lives having more value than those of darker skin tones, those who are not Christians.

Are the lives of 635 Palestinians equal to the lives of 5 Israelis, only one of whom was a soldier? I think not.

Di's blog is excellent. She is extremely well informed on the Gaza situation, well travelled and has links to others from Gaza. Check it out.

3 comments:

Di Mackey said...

I loved what you wrote here. I've been trying to explain this feeling to a particularly stubborn friend of mine but you got it, 'When I see the atocities of Gaza I see the personal face not the face of multitudes.'

When do you fly?

Jule's Short Story said...

Thanks. Been trying to put words to the emotions for days.

Not sure when I fly yet, hopefully by the week of 26 Jan via Brisbane. It all seems a bit surreal with no ticket in my hand!

Will write soon.

Jule's Short Story said...

Eeek just corrected some spelling mistakes, wouldn't let me publish when I tried to correct the word Palestinian, strange