Tuesday 16 December 2008

Of walking and wine

I had an interesting day today, a day of stress and misunderstandings. These are probably quite common at this time of year but still left me feel a bit out of sorts this evening, a bit unsettled. When I feel like that, I plug in the ipod and storm off for a walk. Physical exercise is great for clearing out the cobwebs and making the world seem sane again.

I walked up the hills and then along the river, past the rose garden where I see the old man tending his wife's garden sometimes, along the road past Anne's house. Anne's moving to Abu Dhabi early January so was outside with her friend Richard clearing her garage for those who are moving into her place. The trailer was full, ready to go to the lockup so she took time to sit and yarn with me over a glass.

Anne is really keen to learn more about where she's heading, never having been to the Middle East to work before. So we yarn, she asks questions like: Is alcohol available? Of course, and I tell her of the many cocktails I sampled, Margaritas, Appletinis, Manhattens. What are the kids like? Like kids the world over, curious, cute, a little naughty at times, fun.

Anyhow, here I was all fit and relaxed drinking wine when slightly dehydrated, not a good mix when it's a large glass and there's still a distance to home. I toddled off home, thinking about Anne's upcoming trip and mine. I am also heading off in mid January to Al Ain, just down the road from Anne so we plan to catch up.

Maybe resigning my job yesterday and getting some more of the never ending paperwork ready for my new visa has made me a little unsettled too. It's a time of great change for me, new beginnings and changes to my life. I am excited, but will be more so when my tickets are ready, the house is sorted and I'm packed ready to go, my Christmas break job. For now I have to think of buying the kids their Christmas pressies, getting Kez and Sasi's ones to Aus in time, tomorrows job.

No comments: