Monday 20 October 2008

The trip north





We ventured north on a hot day with Gaye and Kelly driving us. I have written about this in a much earlier post but didn't have the photos then so here are some to add to the story.


Up north it's very hot, dry, dusty and starkly barren, a white barren that defies description so I am hoping the photos show what I mean. We had a great day out, a respite from the city, actually a respite from everything as there was little out in the hinterland, not a loo in sight and no bushes either. We visited some old abandoned village sites with some interesting ruins.


The last time I had headed north, on a previous trip to Qatar, I was surprised by a rather large scorpion sunning itself on a wall in one of the ruins. I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or the scorpion. As I fumbled in fright to get my camera sorted for a photo, he beat a hasty retreat meaning I had no proof of our encounter. Scorpions are like that apparently. I could, however, tell the story of our brief encounter and of course he was much larger in the story than in real life, a fishing story from the desert, how ironic.


The photos are of a cool window, a partially derelict building, Helen and Keri in pursuit of a good camel photo and our picnic outside the gates of a park that was surprisingly locked. The park looked very inviting, the picnic outside with good friends and lots of laughs was much more inviting.

No comments: