Thursday 11 September 2008

Scales

In Qatar Helen had scales, the type you weigh yourself on, electronic scales. We lined up for weigh ins like an episode of the Biggest Loser. I came home to woeful scales, a set that someone who had lived with us had left behind, on purpose to frustrate me I suspect. I had scales envy but I pulled myself up, got over it and made do as good Kiwi lasses tend to do.

When I say woeful scales, I should explain in their defence that it wasn't that they weighed heavy or weren't aesthetically pleasing. It was more that I couldn't read them without my glasses on or contorting myself to a much lower place. Even then, I couldn't really distinguish the calibrations, them not being electronic and all. On Helen's scales I could read the big numbers standing upright, much more dignified. 

Last weekend I decided to buy a new set. I had had an unfortunate incident with the old set, banged my head on the bath as I tried to read the numbers. OK, so I should take my glasses to the bathroom. I tend not to as I can see a much better image of myself in the mirror without them. 

Off I went to Briscoes, always a sale there after all. All I wanted were a set of ordinary scales, electronic ones I could read the numbers on. I tried out several and settled on a simple set. Then others noticed the sale stand. I am not the best shopper, get me confused with choice and I tend to leave without buying. Sigh, no scales this trip.

It was Fathers Day so we met Tim and Sarah, had lunch and a discussion on the merits of the various scales available over cream buns. The two blokes decided that I needed the on sale ones, the ones that had muscle mass, water content and were able to have a small army of people individually programmed into it's memory. OTT I said but they were the same price, give or take a tenner, as my simple choice. I gave in.

Don't tell the blokes, but I am having fun on my new scales. Not only can I weigh myself and read the numbers, after all the object of the exercise, but I can also see my muscle mass and water content increasing and decreasing. I have no idea what the numbers actually mean but I am average for my age apparently. Thanks for that scales, just what I needed to hear. Funny, I take more notice of what fits me in my wardrobe than my weight. Right now the gym is working, my summer jeans fit well and I feel fitter than I did, all good really. 

I may need to revisit Briscoes on the weekend. I hope they have coffee machines on sale, mine is playing up again. I am mean without coffee so a new coffee machine would be a good investment. I hope there's only one or two to choose from.....

No comments: