Thursday 18 September 2008

A farewell

 I had an interesting night out tonight, a farewell for my old manager Tricia. While I was away in Qatar things shifted at my work and my immediate manager, the person who inducted me into the job, resigned. It was a bit of a shock. She had been with the organisation for 31 years, heaps of institutional knowledge and experience gone with one person. 
The farewell was great, a gathering of people who don't get together too often. The wine flowed with the conversation and some yummy nibbles, including chocolate fudge cake. Yes it does go with chardonnay. It was great to catch up with many interested in my travels who I haven't seen since I got back. 
She liked the little bit of bling I brought back from Qatar for her. I have plans for coffee one day soon with Tricia to hear about her new venture, one I know I will be interested in because it means she can be footloose and fancy free, choosing what she does. 
I put a Coelho quote in her memory book. It fitted Tricia somehow. 

Each human being was given two qualities: power and the gift. Power directs us towards our destiny; the gift obliges us to share with others what is best in us.

Paulo Coelho

No comments: