Friday 15 March 2013

2 more sleeps.....

Until I'm on a plane again. New York City here I come! I'm getting really excited about this trip. One thing I've discovered is that it's good to get off this lovely tropical island every few months and have an adventure. It's also easy with so many destinations not too far away. I'm planning to do a few weekend trips as I head towards the end of my contract.

I pick this up a day later, only one more sleep until I fly. My bag is packed, my camera gear is almost ready and I'm excited. I've got a packed itinerary in New York that includes all things musical, a truly cultural journey. Actually the opera is the main reason I'm going. I was talking to a friend about opera way back last November and we looked for an interesting one to go and see. La Traviata came up in New York, the tickets were bought, the trip planned, March seemed to be so far away. And now it's here.

So the plan includes all the tourist places like Ellis Island, Battery Park, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Staten Island ferry, Central Park etc plus the musical evenings. The opera, the San Francisco Philharmonic, the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, Village Vanguard Jazz and of course an Irish pub and St Paddies Day parade. There may even be time for some shopping, well I hope so because I have a woeful winter wardrobe that needs spicing up.

It seems I will need my winter clothes, it's freezing in NYC at this time of year with snow expected on Monday. Actually I'm quite excited about that. Freezing with snow makes the freezing all worthwhile. So I fly from the tropics, where incidentally it's a chilly 27C to a bit above freezing. Oh well. There will be stories and photos, the apartment I'm staying on the Upper Eastside has Internet.

Did I mention I'm excited?

No comments: