Sunday 13 February 2011

A new direction

While I was writing the last post, I got a phone call that rings in some changes in my life. Another job, in another country, in another part of the world, completely. I haven't seen all there is to see here, a weekend to Egypt is in my plans but may have to wait until things are more settled. I promised my father I would get a photo on a camel in front of the pyramids like his father did during the war. It's a promise I want to keep.

I did a little dance, as you do when exciting things happen. I wondered if the job offer may have been withdrawn with this small piece of madness but the man on the phone just laughed. I'm off to the Cayman Islands to work for the government on a reform project. I didn't realise where I was going until I saw peoples faces and listened to their comments when I shared my news. It seems I'm going to a Caribbean paradise, the photos tell me this is so. I suspect I may get many visitors, some have asked me to make sure I have a large house so they can bring all the family. Looks like I might be in just the right place to achieve my diving goal that I had put on the back burner.

So for now I'm going to explore as much of this place as I can before I go. There should be plenty of photos coming up. I have to sort my stuff, not much to pack really so that's good. I still need to finish the Liwa story, maybe tomorrow night as it's been a big weekend. I went to the Waitangi Day ball in Abu Dhabi. Imagine a room full of kiwis, mix with some good food, a few drinks and lots of singing and dancing, it was a good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's a major move Jules. Very cool. A whole new writing and picture taking opportunity.

Jule's Short Story said...

Thanks Martin.
I'm really looking forward this new adventure, from the desert to the tropics in one step. I'm hoping to keep publishing my travel writing and photography, might have less time in my new job :)