Wednesday 7 July 2010

Photo drought



I can't believe how few photos I've taken lately. I've taken heaps for work but none for myself. I was asked to photograph the 3 days on Yas Island and spent time on the weekend getting these to a state fit to share. The boss was very happy with them. I seem to be asked more and more for my photos and that leaves me with dilemmas, one all budding photographers are faced with I'm sure. How do I get others to acknowledge my photographs? Is there payment required for the use of many for essentially a commercial purpose? How do I go about asking for these things? It's a subject I have broached recently so will keep you posted on the results.

Anyhow, after looking at the work photos, I have been reflecting on friendships with so many of my friends leaving this place. I've formed some special relationships with others, relationships that have taught me much about the different ways others live, different cultures and beliefs. These may be very different collectively but not so different individually. Take the lovely Mohammed, a young man in his early 30s who taught me a lot about what it means to be a young Muslim man, a new father and a teacher in this environment.

You see Mohammed and I have discussed all sorts of things, once we established that we were okay with each other. The drive to Abu Dhabi is a good one for conversations and we did that a few times. He is wise beyond his years and has a quick wit and I couldn't help but wonder that he and Nick would have gotten on famously. We did get offside a little after I called his 4wd a lunch box, I'm sure he's forgiven me by now. I will miss him enormously when we resume work agian.

I've got many friends here who are Muslim. I went out to dinner with Dima last night and we shared a meal and a shisha and Christine's company all the while chatting about the things women chat about. Salima is another who I'll miss, she's going back to the UK. I'm sure she won't miss me, the 20 questions lady but I also learnt a lot about the different aspects of Islam Muslims practice from her, another wise lady.

It's only 3 more sleeps until I'm on a plane again and then there'll be heaps of photos again, holiday time always inspires me. The first photo here is of the humidity in Yas Island with Phil, Nina and Laura in the murk. I couldn't believe how long it took my lens to clear. The other one is the front of Cleopatra Spa in Dubai, very OTT.

2 comments:

Zoy! said...

Very kind words...and just to confirm, no I don't think I would have got on with 'him'! I have been reading your blog since I left Al Ain and just wanted to say it's been a brilliant read. Whenever I miss Al-Ain, I will be sure to drop by your blog. Best wishes, Mo Uddin.

Jule's Short Story said...

Lol, thanks for your kind comment. Ramadan karem to you my friend! First day at work today, funny to see a whole new crowd with only a few familiar faces. I'm sure it will all seem normal soon.
Hope you and your family are settling well into your new life, keep in touch!
Jules :)