Sunday 18 July 2010

Christchurch

It's hard to believe I've only been here for a little over a week, funny how I slot back into the lifestyle. My life here has changed. I no longer have my home to return to so I'm dependent on the generosity of my family and friends. I've been staying with really good friends, enjoying their two young ladies and remembering a time when my own house was so full of noise and fun, sleep overs and midnight pick ups, sports and cultural events on the calendar and of course the endless meals and dishes.

I'm really enjoying the coffee and the quality, if not the price, of the food. Eating out for brunch is a treat I've had a few times since I've been back. Although Ruby's French toast with maple syrup and bacon has been the highlight so far. It's become very expensive here and I suspect I notice it more because of my infrequent trips. Luckily pineapple lumps, those little pieces of sunshine wrapped in chocolate, were on special so I've got 8 packs. Well, down to 7 now as we sampled some this afternoon, just to check the quality of course. I've got several orders for these and not just from my NZ friends.

I went for a long walk in the hills this morning, along the paths I used to walk regularly. Winter makes it all look so bleak and it was freezing. It took me a while to warm up but once underway I really enjoyed being out in the fresh air and seeing the sights. I suspect I've become a little unfit because I'm a bit sore tonight, either that or the cold has taken it's toll.

Tomorrow I'm house sitting and then going out to the country to stay for a few days. I've been trying to work out how I can fly home via Melbourne so I can see Nick and think I've got that sussed. I'll just have to go and talk nicely to the Emirates people at the airport. I've had some luck with that lately so fingers crossed they agree to my plan.

No comments: