Monday 24 August 2009

Toyota shopping

Toyota Fortuna's are the SUV of choice. Well they are if you get the 2009 model just before the 2010 model hit the shelf and if you buy in Ramadan. I've been car hunting for a while, content with a smallish car because I was mostly tootling around Al Ain. Once I started on the Natural History group's trips, I decided I needed a 4wd. When I got my new job, it came with a car allowance that covers the payments of said Fortuna.

Rau and I went Toyota shopping last night. One of the things I've noticed about Ramadan is that the shops have very different opening hours. Take our coffee place Scalinis. They're now open from 7pm until 3am. So no coffees during the day, in fact all the food outlets are shut during the day. I really must buy that coffee machine.

The Toyota shop opened just after we arrived, the men inside finishing their prayers. I always feel like I'm intruding on something private and special when I observe Muslims praying, especially when there is a group as there was last night. I tend to distance myself from their prayer space, difficult for this curious people watcher. When I have come across teachers praying and apologised later, they don't appear concerned. The men last night certainly weren't.

Back to SUV shopping. Sami has talked to Rau many times as she's been in to ask the questions needed for such a big purchase. He greets her as an old friend. It's only my second visit but Sami has me down as the cheap skate I am. Maybe because I asked for his cheapest finest last visit. This time he doesn't disappoint. A 2.7l Fortuna for dhs 80k. There are extras thrown in to sweeten the deal. With the exchange rate that's around nzd 31k so not bad for a new Toyota I suspect.

Now to justify, well I'm not sure I need to. The two main things I'm looking for are safety and the ability to go offer rides to others when we go out exploring the wilds of Oman and the UAE. I'm traveling a lot more in my new role, around Al Ain and to and from Adu Dhabi so I need something safer than a 1.3 Yaris. I think if one of the speedy Patrols and Pradas hit me, at least I can hit back in a Fortuna.

As their ad says, Toyota cares. And I think I care for Toyota. I also think I'll check out the used car market before I buy, a job for this evening.

No comments: