Sunday 16 August 2009

Back to work




Typical, first day back at work today and I woke at 3am with a raging head cold. Sleep ran away from me so I read for a while then got up and took what I had in the cupboard for a cold, not much given my aversion to conventional medicine. I blame flying, being shut in a metal tube with hundreds of others. I'm possibly still a little jet lagged given that I've only been back a day or so. I'm looking forward to going back to work, catching up with the holiday stories of my friends and colleagues.

One good thing about waking at 3am is that I got the chance to finish an excellent book I bought in Auckland while waiting for my connecting flight, bought it because of the summary on the back:

"We don't want to tell you what happens in this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it"

Made me want to read The Other Hand. I was engrossed as the story unravelled and no, I'n not going to spoil it by saying anymore. I'll let you read it for yourself. Mines going to Rau now I've finished it.

Another good thing is that I've managed to download my Melbourne photos and have included some here. I had a great time in Melbourne catching up with Sue and looking around this city I'd only flown through before. Landing at the airport doesn't count as a visit. It was also great to be able to break the long journey back.

Melbourne is a lovely city and I saw the sights as we walked along the river from Sue and Neil's place into the city . There's heaps to see. Big sports stadiums, the botanic gardens, the tall buildings, the markets, the rowers on the river but our main mission was lunch. We found an outside table in the sun at a small Italian restaurant, ordered a bottle, breads and risotto and whiled away the afternoon catching up and people watching. Perfect.

I must get ready for work, I'd much rather crawl back into bed and snooze for an hour or so.

No comments: