Sunday 12 July 2009

26.5 hours

After a very, very long flight I'm back in Godzown. It's a bit chilly, brrrrrr. Flying over the Southern Alps was amazing, the snow gleaming white in the bright sunshine. I hogged the window, my face pressed against it looking at all the familiar sights. the glorious mountains, the West Coast, my old house in Rimu, the lakes and the tracks I walked. I wished I hadn't decided to pack my camera in my case so I could capture the moments.

The flight was eventful, as mine often are. A lady from Lebanon and her two sons had taken my seat, and the seats of two from Dunedin, by accident. No worries, with two small children the window seats seemed like a good place for them to be. Poor lady started vomiting about an hour into the flight. I ended up amusing the boys aged 3 and 6, made the flight go quickly at any rate. I learnt a few more Arabic words and enjoyed a cuddle from a cute 3 year old while watching Cars and Finding Nemo.

The trip was also very, very long and tedious, 26.5 hours from Al Ain to here. Imagine the audacity after hours, almost a day of travel to get to Sydney and be bomb tested and searched. I'm afraid they got the sharp edge of my tongue, the very sarcastic edge. I'm not even sure if they knew just how cross I was, they got the icey coldness I reserve for idiots. Idiots often miss the tone.

It was fine in Christchurch, fine but very chilly. After a few days rest, I'll be out and about catching up with others. For now, I'm just enjoying being here chillin at home and catching up on family news. There's plenty of that.

No comments: