Monday 15 June 2009

My box of chocolates

I did a quiz on Facebook the other day, the quote that describes your life. Mine made me smile, it's from one of my favourite movies.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get"
Meaning: "You have a pretty mellow and easy going outlook on life. You are ready for any curveball that life throws at you."

Well, it certainly fits at the moment, there's plenty of curve balls to cope with as well as the odd peppermint cream. Most of it's small stuff so I don't get too disturbed, like the plumber not turning up tonight. Some of it's a bit more major like spending hours writing PD then losing it somehow on the horrible, horrible dtk computer I'm using. Yep, there really is a brand called dtk, all lowercase and I'm sure I can make some acronyms that fit at the moment.

I've got a cold, dusty eyes and a rotten head ache so feel a little sorry for myself tonight. Couple that with the plumber and the computer and that makes tonights chocolate one of those hard nut ones no one really likes and you almost break your teeth on.

I always seem to have plumbing problems in my flats, usually floods and this is no exception, except this time I have some control over the flood. The flood happens when I use the kitchen sink, when I do the dishes. The sink water bubbles up through the drain vent and all over the kitchen floor. Unfortunately it smells bad, fortunately it's probably drowned all the cockroaches. Anyhow, the plumber was booked for 5.30pm so I had a snooze, missed my gym and swim wating for him to arrive, not sure my dishes will get done tonight, sigh.

At least I had Lesley over to entertain me for a while. Lesley remind me of my auntie Heather, in a good way, shes like having family to visit. I am enjoying the range of people I get to interact with on a daily basis. Friends who come and visit or who I meet out and about, like Liz at the pool yesterday and the girls on the zoo outing.

I'm hoping tomorrow is going to be a peppermint cream day or at least a soft caramel. That might require an early night and a good sleep. I'm finding I'm getting tired now. It's been along semester with no break and given that I've not had a real break for a few years now, I'm looking forward to some down time in NZ in front of the fire watching the snow fall, drinking good coffee. It's also very hot, consistently in the high 40s. A four week winter might do me some good, seeing the family will top up my soul.

2 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Auntie Heather in a good way made me smile. She could be cool sometimes ...

I get really nostalgic for Nana's place, do you? Envying you going home. I have to sort out the student loan debacle ... I have become a cautionary tale. Sigh, the drama of it all.

Good luck with the sink ... and the cold, and the eyes.
xo

Jule's Short Story said...

lol, I thought you might like that. Yes she was our favorite for so long wasn't she.

Nana's house, I didn't spent as much time there as you did but went back to visit later only to find it didn't look like her place. The bead curtain at the door gave it away really. I had a wee cry, the kids couldn't figure out why, one day they will.

Can you get a new passport with a new name.......