Thursday 25 June 2009

Just a couple more from the track





It's an interesting place this. An interesting place to live and see the many contradictions as well as the wonderful nature of the people. Take the other day. I was feeling unwell, the dreaded dust giving me a headache and making me blocked up so I went home after a couple of hours at work.

This was not really understood. "Has she been eating the meat of the pig?" asked one. Mmmm given I've been a vegetarian for many years, I think not. Yes, the swine flu hysteria has reached the UAE. It took me some time to explain, no it's just a dust allergy and I need to dose up on my antihistamines. I've been a bit slack with taking them lately. All is well now, I got asked to join others to eat and have ghawa (coffee) so not catchy then.
I also returned to a lovely gift from one of my local colleagues, a print of camels on the beach at sunset. Funny but it's exactly what I would have chosen, a shot I'd have been proud of. It'll grace the wall by my dining table soon. There were also some great coffee cups, much needed in my minimalistic flat. I can now have 8 people for coffee, bonus.
I'm sitting here tonight with a small glass having a giggle about visiting the local bottle store tonight, certainly a contradiction. I topped up the cellar and Rau asked for an application for a liquor licence, that took some time. We have the letter we need and now need to fill out and file the forms and pay the money, and then we'll be able to have a little drink at home. When we get back, Inshallah.
It's a bit of a social time at the moment with farewells, meals out and last minute catch ups before people depart for distant shores. On Friday I hope to tag along with the natural history group for a walk in the Omani hills. More photo ops I hope, will keep you posted.
The photos here are more from the track, camels of course and the owner in the ever present Toyota keeping tabs on his very valuable livestock.

No comments: