Saturday 20 June 2009

Blue Souq, Sharjah





I'd been really disappointed with the souqs in the UAE but that changed last night in Sharjah. I'd heard all about the Blue Souq from colleagues who'd visited so thought I might venture to the Northern Emirates for the weekend. Anne came along for the ride. Anne who's great company, an unflappable passenger and a lousy navigator. We had some map adventures. The main thing I learnt was if Anne says go this way, you go in the opposite direction and it will all work out (her words!).

I also learnt, entirely by my own efforts and this links to the unflappable passenger comment, that turning left in Sharjah is not the same as turning left in Christchurch. Luckily the man to the left of me wouldn't let me in and the person behind me beeped loudly. OK, so it's a roundabout. I missed that important fact at the time. We missed the bus to the Blue Souq hence having to drive, something I regretted very early on and came to dread later. Fancy 1600 being 4pm, not 6pm! Shutting my eyes and hoping seemed to work.......

We somehow made it to the Blue Souq and it was amazing, simply everything I'd heard and it totally renewed my faith in UAE souqs. Anne and I took heaps of photos of the outside in good late afternoon light then got another batch at the end, that alone would have made the trip to Sharjah worthwhile. Inside was shopping heaven for me, interesting small nic nack shops, pashminas, carpets, fabric, local and imported goodies.

We got trapped in the second shop, you guessed it, a pashmina shop. Mohammad, pictured in a later post with Anne, was very helpful and honest about the quality of his wares. There were the 500dhs ones, ones for another visit, and the 40-150dhs ones. I managed to choose 6 from the multitude and Anne managed several and a lovely kilim. I'll let the girls choose their own when I get home but I'm keeping one for me (OK, so I'd like to keep them all). I think I'll need at least one when I land.
We spent lots of time wandering, looking and haggling. Anne bought jewelery and I came close. I finally found ear rings that I thought matched my Turkish bracelet, the one I always wear. Alas, the shape was the same but they were green onyx not black. We stopped when we got hungry, yes I was starting to get mean, and had pizza and tea while people watching. It was an evening to bottle really, a happy place evening.
We ventured into the traffic, got into more trouble on the confusing intersections that are actually roundabouts and got back to the hotel safely if a little shattered. I've not slept so well in ages with the sound of the sea gently entering my consiousness from outside. I could live in Sharjah. It's a bit like Doha with it's vibrancy as well as being very beautiful and green and on the coast.
The photos are of the Blue Souq. More photos to come......
PS This one's for you Keri, promise I'll keep writing about my adventures.

No comments: