Friday 20 March 2009

Of seagulls and things




It's Friday again, the weeks here fly past. I think it's something to do with the fact that Wednesday is no longer hump day, that's Tuesday's job. So when Wednesday comes, it's almost the weekend!

I don't normally write about my work but Thursday was so special it needs a mention. It was excellence day at school, celebration day for the kids and teachers and of course we were invited to be a part of it all. I really appreciate that the teachers do want us to be such a part of the school culture. We sat and watch the ceremonies unfold, the entertainment, the presentations, the speeches. And the tug of war competition.
In our translated programmes it said computations, little did we suspect that we were part of said computations. The kids had a tug of war against the teachers, much hilarity, the teachers had one against each other and then it was our turn. Not sure why the teachers were so keen to have little old me on their teams, I'm hardly an anchor!

We tugged and tugged, very competitive with sledging from both sides. The other team won, no one was badly injured but wait, someone mentioned a rematch so it was all on again. One of the teachers told me to take off my heels, no I don't think so!

The kids and their mothers enjoyed the day and it ended with a huge meal, a buffet only possible in this country with an amazing selection of food and Fanta. the teachers laughed and chatted with us in a relaxed social setting where the sharing of food and stories of the celebration day overcame any language barrier, a relaxed inclusion into the sisterhood.

We were stuffed full by the end and ready for another Fanta or several at Trader Vics. We went later to sample the seafood buffet at the Intercontinental. I managed to get through a lobster and other delicacies washed down with a lovely Italian white, perfect for the sea food. Nothing better than good food and good company, washed down with a smooth vino.
Oh, about the seagulls. They managed to get into most of my Dubai shots so here are two shots I dedicated just to them, one watching me eat and the other the early evening sky alive with gulls. I also have Jonathon Livingstone Seagull moments quite often here. If you're not sure what that means, read the book.

No comments: