Tuesday 17 March 2009

Milestones

I have reached an important milestone. I now have residency. This is a huge milestone because now I can open a bank account; have a post office box; go in and out of the country at will; hire/lease/buy a car; get my drivers licence; join the gym etc etc. Actually all the things that make me feel that important sense of belonging. And finally, I have my good old NZ passport back in my safe keeping complete with the residency document inside.

I've always wanted an interesting passport and looked longingly at other passports with multiple stamps and visas while mine only had Australia, soon to be a place we don't need a passport for. Now mine looks interesting, and sure to get more interesting as I explore both this part of the world further and return to Europe.

I opened my bank account today, with Rau watching longingly. Her residency is still on it's way. I said no thank you to two more credit cards, I do enough damage with the one I already have thanks. Once again the person at HSBC was very helpful and stayed on late to open my account and answer my 20 questions. It was great to put my cash in the bank out of my sight, too tempting to have so much handy.

I have really enjoyed the emails I've had from home lately, from the friends who miss me and take time to write. I have been a bit slow in answering at times and plan to write to all over the next week or so. In the meantime, please read this blog as my news and keep your emails coming, I love to hear from you!

Right, back to work. I'm procrastinating while writing a PD session so best I get it finished now.

No comments: