Friday 6 March 2009

Going to Dubai

It's the weekend and I'm going to Dubai! What's more it's a long weekend so Rau and I have some time to have a good look around. I have only been to the airport at Dubai and had dubious experiences there so I didn't have much of a hankering to go to the city proper.

But there's a long weekend, I have no passport to go to Oman so Dubai it is. We're planning on doing the on off city bus tour and hope to catch some of the 7's, probably on the telly at the hotel given that the tickets are sold out. Sarah offered us a ride today, she's going to the 7's. Bonus, no bus ride with the driver talking on two phones while smoking and driving with his knees at 140kph. Not to mention all the stops, we've already had that adventure.

Most of all I want to go for a swim, no I haven't had one yet. Rau and I walked to the Rotana in a wicked dust storm to join the gym last Saturday only to find that they were full and there was a waiting list. I would have loved to see our faces, all dressed up in the gym gear and no place to exercise. And no swim.

Plan B, check out a post box, the bank and the Home Centre sale and get a walk in in the process. Off we went, blown about by the strong wind and having to cover our eyes to stop them being sand blasted. We looked a sight, two wind blown chicks from down under bursting into the Post Office then the bank.

I can't believe the service we got in both places and this has been my experience here so far with all the services I have contacted. We got forms to fill in, had to provide information about our work and residency status and were treated with total respect. The men and women we dealt with couldn't have been more helpful and personable. We even got a post box number without all the proper papers, just have to take them back to get the key.

We had a quick look at the Home Centre sale, very dangerous. I got some more frames for my photos and we checked out the delivery of our goods set for the next day. Sure enough there was a mix up and we needed two deliveries. Oh well, might as well add something else to the pile already being delivered. How they deliver is another story.

No comments: